ICNC ‘s Criteria in Evaluating Area Development
When ICNC is asked to provide an opinion on a proposed area development, the following issues are discussed and considered:
- Feedback from neighboring companies – concerns of those closest to proposed development
- Impact of Zoning change request – does it fit in with larger plan for area? Options?
- Protection of the PMD – if in PMD, no zoning change will be considered
- Impact on commercial/industrial business – e.g., minimize residential next to manufacturing
- Adequacy of Parking
- Impact on traffic
- Access to public transportation – e.g., higher density allowed close to L or bus line
- Job creation – number of jobs which will be retained/created
- Alignment of development with long-term area plan
ICNC advocates for businesses in the Kinzie Corridor. We ensure that the voices of our company owners are heard when decisions are being made on issues tht impact business: zoning, infrastructure, security, regulations/processes and more.
Policymakers listen to us because our more than 2,000 businesses have a positive impact on the local economy and beyond. Recent issues include:
- Business-friendly zoning which protects jobs
- Enhanced transportation – more Green line L stops, more CTA buses
- Streamlined permit processes and more efficient regulation
- Increased flexibility and funding for regulation compliance
- Reduced taxes – both City and County
- Support for “going green” – implementing sustainability & energy-savings measures
- Increased funding for infrastructure improvements (streets, alleys, etc).
- Enhanced U.S. Postal delivery
- …..and more!